Friday, December 20, 2019

A Tribute to Hawk

On November 22 2009 Hawk came into this world for a very special reason: to become my guide. He was one of six puppies born in the H litter that day. Hawk met his puppy raisers John and Amy at the end of January 2010.

Hawk learned so much from them over the next year and a few months. One very special thing he learned from them was you could tell him to sit and stay and he would as long as you wanted him to stay. He returned to GDB for his formal training at the end of April 2011.

I met my black Hawk on August 31 2011 at 10:00am and knew he was very special.

We had a hard time in the first few walks figuring out each other. Thanks to my class supervisor, Kelly Martin, who used helped us figure it out. We are all trained to use words to help us become a team. It turns out Hawk needed me to not say anything walking down a sidewalk - that would distract him. But I will share that Hawk loved praise at each corner! As soon as we started bonding in training we became a wonderful team that walked at Hawk’s speed until he retired.

We graduated from GDB on September 17, 2011, and yes, his puppy raisers came and he fully enjoyed seeing them.

Hawk enjoyed playing tug from the very first day I received a tug toy. He played tug with many people. Hawk would figured out your strength and played with you at your level.

Hawk always took his time and made sure I was safe when we were out working together as a team. Hawk went to many meetings with me over the years. Hawk made many friends everywhere he went, including other guide dogs.

Hawk settled into our home and from the very first visit from my brother Donald Hawk bonded with him. My brother early the next year started redoing floors in our home and Hawk became known as "Traffic Jam." He would always be where the tools were and most times laying on the next tool my brother was going to use.

In early summer of 2014 Hawk couldn’t cross a street so he semi-retired. On November 1, 2014, he guided me for the last time. He went to live with my brother as a beloved pet.

Two weeks ago we found out that Hawk had spleen cancer. We were hoping for a longer time with him to be able to spoil him, but he took a turn for the worse and we agreed to let him go. When he crossed the rainbow bridge, Hawk was with a small group of people who loved him to the very end.

Love you always my special black Hawk.

- Louise Johnson

No comments:

Post a Comment