Thursday, July 1, 2021

"Freida" Kennedy

 “Freida” Kennedy

A yellow Lab guide dog in harness.


November 10, 1988 – June 16, 2011


Today marks the 10 anniversary of when my precious Freida crossed the Rainbow Bridge.  Freida was a wonderful guide, my first guide, who knew exactly what to do.  She was a miracle given to me by Guide Dogs for the Blind on June 5, 2000..  You taught her once, and she never forgot.

I truly believe that “things really happen for a reason.”  I was originally partnered with Nettles for 5 days, but she did not work out and was “career changed.”  So, Charles introduced me to Freida.  She was so very sweet, came up to me and licked the tears from my cheeks.  Although I was to lose total vision a few days later, I was so grateful to able to see her beautiful eyes.  She and I became inseparable.  Freida was an extraordinary guide, knowing exactly what to do, with hardly a command.  I think she could read my mind.  Really.  She was quite the elegant lady too, always crossing her dainty paws whenever she laid down.

Freida was raised by the amazing Sandy Thomas in Mesa, AZ, the third of 17 puppies she raised.  Sandy says that Freida was the easiest puppy she raised.

We had a real scare in 2006 when dear Freida was diagnosed with what turned out to be a very large mass cell tumor.  I could have lost her, if it wasn’t for GDB’s Dr. Craig Dietrich’s awesome skills as a surgeon.  God bless him, he gave us 5 more years with precious Freida.   Love you, Doc!

Thank you, dear Freida, for your almost 8 years of impeccable guide work.  You guided me so beautifully and always watched out for the little holes on the sidewalks, guiding me around dangerous obstacles.  I always felt like a passenger in your limo.

You are now my angel on my shoulder, together with Angela, watching Buddy and me.  You set the bar high for Angela, and now Buddy.   You were the next best thing to having my sight back.

Aloha dear Freida and a hui hou (until we meet again).  You are in a very special place in my heart, together with Angela,

Your mommie, Vickie

No comments:

Post a Comment